2019 cruise line reviews.

Yorkshire Phil

2019 cruise line reviews.

Post by Yorkshire Phil » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:16 pm

Yorkshire Phil from Yorkshire Pudding land. :D

tail of the bank

Re: 2019 cruise line reviews.

Post by tail of the bank » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:13 pm

Some interesting stuff there. Without having access to the full 1 to 20 line up - it is accessible at a cost - it is reasonable to assume P&O are somewhere between 6th and 15th. I say P&O as that is who we are familiar with (which may apply to many on this site).

Having recent experience of Cruise and Maritime I am initially amazed they rate higher than MSC, Norwegian and Royal Caribbean (none of which I have experienced although I do know people who rate two of those three highly) but then I realise it is all subjective.

Cruise and Maritime have a loyal following who believe they are getting good service and value for money but our experience was poor service and a slightly higher cost pppn than P&O so poor value for money hence we would mark them down. But the, admittedly large, CMV loyal following will mark them up as they are not aware they can get better service at a lower price on e.g. P&O. The current press adverts are full of two for one offers on CMV, sounds great, two for one, and then you do the maths and realise two for one isn't cheap but for many the perception is 'it is two for one so it must be cheap /a bargain'. I haven't set out to have a go at CMV but they and P&O are the only comparison I can make.

it is a bit like planning a City Break and going on Trip Advisor and finding in your chosen town city the highest rated hotel is Travel Lodge, with better ratings than perhaps Marriot and Holiday Inn. It doesn't mean Travel Lodge is better - although it may be - just that the travel Lodge customers are overall happier with what they got then those of the bigger name hotels.

Brightonbreezy

Post by Brightonbreezy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:14 am

It is also worth remembering that these results are based on a sample of 2500 pax - and the majority of ships now take more than that number in one go!

As Phil has said, it is very subjective. On a well-known cruise review website, Marella/Thomson rate on a par with P&O. My experience with Marella was that they were considerably inferior to P&O but others will disagree. Also, when looking at the reviews for Marella on said site, a high percentage are from first-time cruisers or Marella devotees. I've only had 1 cruise with CMV but was pretty content with all aspects aboard the Marco Polo.

I wonder how many of the people surveyed by Which have experience of several cruise lines?

It doesn't really seem to be a surprise that the top 5 are lines with a fairly high pppn fare...
Andrew

Enjoyed cruising since 1995 and have been lucky enough to have sailed with Cunard, P&O, Princess, Celebrity, Fred Olsen, Saga, Portuscale, Marella & CMV - plus one Nile cruise. To come: Azura, Coral Princess & Aurora.

Yorkshire Phil

Post by Yorkshire Phil » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:01 pm

P&O were 13th with 3* in most categories. One surprise was that Princess were only rated 1% above CMV, we have had 2 cruises with each of these lines in the last 2 years. I would certainly rate Princess well above CMV and we like CMV and the service in the restaurants on our last 2 Princess cruises was nothing special.
Yorkshire Phil from Yorkshire Pudding land. :D