Re: Aurora to the Amazon - week Six-ish

DebW

Re: Aurora to the Amazon - week Six-ish

Post by DebW » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:06 pm

Friday 8th February – at sea

My back felt a lot better when I woke up – still not right, but nothing like as bad as it was last night. I thought I’d take it easy today, but that quickly went out of the porthole!
After a Horizon buffet breakfast I went to FitSteps, where we did a Bob Fosse Charleston/jazz mix routine. I thought it would be too much for my back, but I was okay and lasted the whole session.
George went to a talk given by Wayne Sleep, which he said was very interesting: I might go along to the next one. Then we had our usual lunchtime sessions at choir practice and the Battle, before preparing ourselves for today’s Big Event.
This was the Trek the Deck event to raise money for the Teenage Cancer Trust. Not a great marathon – just nine laps of prom Deck, so only about 2½ miles, but good fun nevertheless. Couldn’t say how many people took part – I just know there were a lot of us! And with the temperature nudging 30oC, it was pretty draining. Some ran it, and some did it as a relay, but most were like us and just walked it by themselves. Lots of chat as we went around, which helped pass the time. Good fun.
In the evening the six of us went to the pictures, and what a good decision that was. The film showing today was “Bohemian Rhapsody”, and it was excellent. We all came out at the end going “wow”. Nothing was going to match that, so we just had a drink and a chat before bed.

barnsfield

Re: Re: Aurora to the Amazon - week Six-ish

Post by barnsfield » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:36 am

Glad the back is a bit easier Deb. We did Trek the Deck on Oriana before Christmas and disappointingly only about 20 turned up. We did it again on Oceana a fortnight later and about 200 turned up. Glad yours was successful.
Sandra :lol:

Brightonbreezy

Post by Brightonbreezy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:03 am

Good news about the back Deb. Glad you enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody - I saw it at Christmas-time and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Andrew

Enjoyed cruising since 1995 and have been lucky enough to have sailed with Cunard, P&O, Princess, Celebrity, Fred Olsen, Saga, Portuscale, Marella & CMV - plus one Nile cruise. To come: Azura, Coral Princess & Aurora.

Batwoman

Post by Batwoman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:19 am

Pleased to hear your back is ok and well done on completing Trek the Deck, I hope a lot of money was raised.
Lizzie x

DebW

Post by DebW » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:18 pm

Saturday 9th February – Roatan, Honduras

What a beautiful sight greeted us this morning. Roatan is about 35 miles from mainland Honduras, and looked lush and green as far as we could see from our balcony. We had high hopes for our tour as we headed down to the Medina for breakfast.
We had minibuses again, which was fine except that George had a truly fat bloke sitting the other side of the aisle who managed to take up his seat, the aisle space, AND crowd poor George out. Fortunately the minibus was only a small part of our trip.
We were taken first to the highest point of the island where we had a chance to take panoramic photos. Some spectacular views from up there.
Then we moved on to ‘Iguana Hideaway’, a breeding and ecology site which has hundreds of iguanas of all sizes living there. Some were about 1.5m long, and the smallest were just babies of a couple of months, so only a few inches long, but they all (apart from the babies) wander freely around the site.
We all had a chance to feed the iguanas – some seemed very greedy, others couldn’t be bothered. And I was offered the chance to hold a year-old one, which of course I said yes to!
We all got back on the minibus which next took us to a place called Dixon’s Cove, where we were given a fruit punch and had about an hour to swim and sunbathe. But being me, sunbathing never figured on my to-do list, and I spent most of the time in the water. The sand was soft and white, the water was warm and less than waist-deep, and we had sunbeds under palm trees. Bliss.
After our hour was up we were taken on a little boat for a ride around Dixon’s Cove, passing the mangroves and sailing right round two half-submerged shipwrecks from 100 years or so ago. Back on land we had a demonstration of a local dance and sampled some cassava bread, and finally we re-boarded our bus and returned to the cruise terminal.
It had been a really interesting day ashore.
And in the evening we went to the cinema again, this time to see “Jackie”, the recent film about Jackie Kennedy. It was pretty good, but it lost in comparison to yesterday’s offering.

Batwoman

Post by Batwoman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Another good day ashore, I like the idea of swimming in that shallow warm sea or maybe just sitting in it! :)
Lizzie x

DebW

Post by DebW » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:10 pm

Sunday 10th February – Belize

After several days of nature, wildlife and beach experiences around central America and the Caribbean, today we had a culture trip, and a tour to see the Mayan ruins of Altun Ha.
We dropped anchor a long way from shore – so far, in fact, that the ship’s tenders couldn’t be used and we had shore tenders instead. We watched them arrive as we had our breakfast in the Medina, and the first tour group was being loaded well before 8.00am.
We had an hour or so before it was our turn, and after a 20-minute ride to the shore we were directed to our coach for the day, and on our way to the Altun Ha site.
The roads here are pretty good, but they do seem to like their sleeping policeman humps. Even on the highway, bowling along at 50 or so mph, our driver had to come to a near-stop every quarter of a mile or so to negotiate the d*mn things.
So what with the constant speeding up and slowing down, it took over an hour to reach the site, and our timing was immaculate: as we all got off the bus the heavens opened. The two of us were okay, we had our umbrellas with us, but plenty of people didn’t.
Fortunately the rain didn’t last very long at all, and our site guide, Javier, was leading us to the centre of the ruins. It was wonderful. Javier explained everything without being too wordy or detailed, and gave us a good idea of what Altun Ha was like in its heyday. And it is very old, dating from around 200BC. Most of the temples and buildings are left in their original ‘found’ state, but some have been partially restored to make them safe.
Some of our group climbed up to the top of the temple ruins: I would have joined them, but I’m actually not good at climbing down things, so might have got stuck up there!
It was a really interesting visit, and quite different from the others we’ve done recently.
We didn’t get back to the ship until late afternoon, so just spent an hour or so drawing breath and sorting ourselves out. In the evening the singer-comedian who didn’t impress the other night was on again, but we avoided him and spent a couple of hours with our friends up in the Crow’s Nest.

Batwoman

Post by Batwoman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:53 pm

Thank heavens for brollies, were you mobbed by others wanting to join you under your's? :)
Lizzie x

DebW

Post by DebW » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:59 pm

Batwoman wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:53 pm
Thank heavens for brollies, were you mobbed by others wanting to join you under your's? :)
Thankfully not! Many other brollies and rainmacs appeared - as did an enterprising bloke selling ponchos "jis $5, dis rain ain't gon stop, an yous gettin real wet"!

DebW

Post by DebW » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:36 pm

Monday 11th February – Costa Maya, Mexico

The clocks went forward an hour in the night, so it was still dark when we arrived here. It was quite windy, and the sea was running very fast – in fact we didn’t realise we’d docked as ship was moving about so much. It got better when Royal Caribbean’s “Rhapsody of the Seas” docked next to us, as they then took the brunt of the wind.
But the wind was strong enough that a lot of the sea/beach-based tours were cancelled. Didn’t affect us as we had nothing booked today, but we’re due to go kayaking and snorkelling in Cozumel tomorrow, so fingers crossed for that.
We had a leisurely Medina breakfast before spending an hour in the cabin catching up on ‘housework’ – checking our bank accounts, doing diaries, and so forth. Then we gathered our stuff together for a walk to the ‘delights’ of the cruise terminal, about 300-400m from the ship.
This is one of those purpose-built terminals, comprising lots of souvenir and jewellery shops, restaurants and bars, and desks offering taxis and tours to wherever you want to go. You do run the gauntlet somewhat.
There were also three or four groups of people in ‘traditional’ costume, doing music and dance, along with a swimming pool and another pool where dolphins were performing and swimming with them was on offer. Sorry, but even though how cute it all appears, it’s just wrong: dolphins should be swimming wild and free.
We bought a few bits in one of the shops and headed back to the ship. Unfortunately we’d timed things badly weather-wise, and as we walked along the long bridge we had to don our pacamacs to avoid the worse of a sudden downpour. Those macs took the rest of the day to dry out!
We spent the afternoon in our cabin and on our balcony. Both of us were feeling the effects of our missing hour of sleep, and I had a blocked sinus which gave me a stonking headache, so rest was the order of the day. But we did join our friends for a “true or false” quiz later in the evening, which was fun.