Iona Winter 20/21

Brightonbreezy

Iona Winter 20/21

Post by Brightonbreezy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:47 am

Had an e-mail from Bolsover this morning announcing that Iona will spend winter 20/21 in Northern Europe, Spain, Portugal & the Canaries. I might well be proved wrong but I am guessing there will be some pretty cheap deals at some stage...
Andrew

Enjoyed cruising since 1995 and have been lucky enough to have sailed with Cunard, P&O, Princess, Celebrity, Fred Olsen, Saga, Portuscale, Marella & CMV - plus one Nile cruise. To come: Azura, Coral Princess & Aurora.

Batwoman

Re: Iona Winter 20/21

Post by Batwoman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 am

You could well be proved right Andrew. :)
Lizzie x

Brightonbreezy

Post by Brightonbreezy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:52 am

More info now up on the P&O website. Northern Europe is Bruges, Hamburg, Rotterdam and Amsterdam (from Rotterdam) and winter sun features Lisbon, Cadiz, Tenerife, Gran Canaria & Madeira. Looks like she might just be doing two itineraries throughout the winter then...
Andrew

Enjoyed cruising since 1995 and have been lucky enough to have sailed with Cunard, P&O, Princess, Celebrity, Fred Olsen, Saga, Portuscale, Marella & CMV - plus one Nile cruise. To come: Azura, Coral Princess & Aurora.

prefdavid

Post by prefdavid » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:44 am

Can't go too far as it's doubtful that any of the more distant ports will be able to refuel her.

As you said Andrew, anticipate some good bargains to be had if one's prepared to wait.

Daib

Post by Daib » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:05 pm

I understand that they are also doing Barcelona, Valencia, Alicante and Gib as well. And I have heard that this will include overnights and late departures. So hopefully a range of itineraries.
Gan Canny

Dai

tail of the bank

Post by tail of the bank » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:03 pm

The blog on the Bolsover website mentions Malaga, Valencia and Barcelona. It also mentions 'whitewater rafting on Galicia's longest river' which suggests La Coruna or Vigo - Rias Biaxas is the longest river according to Wikipedia although to me it is more noteworthy for the Albarino wines than for its length!

Mention of late night flamenco in Seville suggests a late night or overnight in Cadiz whilst late night calls and overnight stays are noted under the Northern Europe heading - although obviously they might also apply to other Iberian and Canary Island ports - with the suggestion of visiting Rotterdam and Amsterdam on consecutive days.

Northern Europe also talks rather ambitiously about being in Hamburg the day after Bruges - if that is to be the case distance (347 nautical miles including the lengthy sail up the Elbe )suggests it will presumably be the afternoon of the next day which, together with mention of raucous nights on the Reeperbahn (and I thought a Bahn was a railway) points to an overnight in Hamburg.

Having decided we would like to try Iona on something longer than the introductory 7 nights to the Fjords we will be very interested in the southward itineraries with an autumn holiday in mind.