Re: Aurora to the Amazon - week Seven-ish

DebW

Re: Aurora to the Amazon - week Seven-ish

Post by DebW » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:42 pm

Thursday 14th February – Freeport, Bahamas

Well, this is not a lovely place. A man-made, contrived area, full of jewellery stores, bars, cafes, and so-called craft shops selling souvenir tat. Clearly geared to the US market, which is understandable as we’re very close to Florida.
We had breakfast in the Medina again, and although the sky was cloudy there didn’t seem to be much wind left. We spotted four other cruise ships docked, but I think two of them might have been dry-docked, and only one was close to us.
We ventured ashore and looked around the shops for an hour or so, but that was it for us. We weren’t regretting cancelling our tour for today, even though the sun did come out eventually, but all morning rain was threatening, and showers started up again before lunch. We did manage half an hour sunbathing once we’d got back on board – every minute crashed out in the sun will be a bonus now, I think.
There was a first-time-with-P&O act on in Carmen’s in the evening – Paul Ruck, who does an Eric Clapton tribute show. The six of us went along as we’re all fans of Clapton, and we weren’t disappointed. He was very good, and it made such a change to have a rock act on board rather than the seemingly endless stream of singers ‘doing the divas’ or singing Michael Bublé-type stuff.
We went from Carmen’s to the late quiz in Champions, where we were in a tie-break at the end. However, one of the other teams was named as the winner, in spite of our answer being closest to the correct one. We appealed – and were also given winners’ stickers. But no apology from the Ents Host (who shall remain nameless, but it’s not the first time she’s got things wrong). We don’t mind at all not winning, but we like to lose fairly. We’d had a great evening, and sadly this left us with a bit of a sour taste.

Batwoman

Re: Re: Aurora to the Amazon - week Seven-ish

Post by Batwoman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:16 pm

Not one of the more successful ports by the sounds of it Debs. Enjoy the sunbathing while you can, it's lovely and sunny here as well but the temperatures are way lower.
Lizzie x

DebW

Post by DebW » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:19 pm

Friday 15th February – at sea

We lost an hour in the night, and so overslept this morning. It was gone 8.00 am before we went to breakfast, which was just a quick ‘grab’ in the Horizon today. Any more and I’d have been late for FitSteps, which today was Flamenco. No-one can accuse us of not trying a variety of things!
Quite a number of people not looking or feeling happy with the movement of the ship this morning. The wind’s only Force 4, with the sea being called “slight”, but I think we’ve been spoilt by the super-calm conditions we’ve had since we left Southampton. In all honesty I wasn’t aware of any rolling or pitching – it was only the water in the swimming pools sloshing about that gave the game away.
I had the daily Battle, and George went to see Wayne Sleep again: he came back even more impressed than before. Not sure how old he is, but it seems he can still do the splits! Pretty good for an OAP.
Today I triumphed in the Individual quiz, scoring 20/20! Better not do that again or I’ll be treated like the Glums….
We had a very different evening with our friends today. After failing (again) at the 7.30 quiz we all went to the children’s area of the ship on Deck 8, and spent about 90 minutes playing on the Wii machines. We had two bowling competitions (I came last both times), then played around with some of the other games on the machines, mostly tennis and other forms of bowling, and I think |I saw Robin trying out the golf game. I was playing tennis – certainly got very hot and burned a few calories!
Got back to the cabin to find a letter inviting us to a ‘special’ afternoon tea in a few days time. Well, actually it’s a ‘special’ part of the Medina during the normal afternoon tea. Simply to meet other passengers who are staying on for the next cruise. Will we bother, seeing as we already know most of them? Not sure.

Batwoman

Post by Batwoman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:40 am

Force 4.....you have been lucky if that's the strongest you've encountered all cruise. You were very fortunate to have left Southampton when you did and so miss the storms that beset us and also Oriana and Ventura on their TA crossings.
Lizzie x

DebW

Post by DebW » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:10 pm

Saturday 16th February – at sea

People have been caught cheating at the Progressive quiz. What is the point? It’s just a quiz, for heaven’s sake.
FitSteps this morning was AWFUL. If that session had been the first one, both Angie and I agreed that we wouldn’t have gone back again. Reason? It was line dancing, dressed up as a ‘country’ routine. Made worse by people shrieking “yee hah” all the way through. If we’d wanted to do that type of thing we would have gone to the proper line dancing sessions.
Just hope the girls don’t waste one of the sea days to Norway repeating it.
But from that point our day just got better and better.
George went to the theatre before lunch where Wayne Sleep was having a question-and-answer session: this, it seems, wasn’t so good, as it got a bit repetitive. But never mind.
I went to the Battle, and mid-afternoon I also went to a Wayne Sleep session, this time a fitness and dance workshop. It was brilliant. Scott was hosting it, and Headliners’ dance captain Luke danced with WS, helping to demonstrate the moves (morning, boys xx!). We were taught a couple of simple routines, to “Money makes the world go round” and “All that jazz”, and as I said it was brilliant. Carmen’s was packed (most of the FitSteps group turned up), and there were loads of passengers watching. Excellent stuff.
Aurora docked in Hamilton, Bermuda, at about 4.00 pm, which was a couple of hours earlier than expected. We’re on the quieter side of the ship for our stay here, which is good.
Then in the evening Angie, Rosemary, Richard and Robin came round to our cabin. Not a party, exactly, but lots of drink and some nibbles. And giggles, of course – there always is when the six of us get together.
We had a table in the Beach House, and opted to sit inside. It would have been nice to sit outside, even though it was dark, but one large group out there were a bit raucous, even for us! As always there, a lovely meal – and we all ate too much.
A great end to the day.

Brightonbreezy

Post by Brightonbreezy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:20 pm

Very nice too. Well, at least the sun is shining here...
Andrew

Enjoyed cruising since 1995 and have been lucky enough to have sailed with Cunard, P&O, Princess, Celebrity, Fred Olsen, Saga, Portuscale, Marella & CMV - plus one Nile cruise. To come: Azura, Coral Princess & Aurora.

Batwoman

Post by Batwoman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:10 pm

Cheating in the quiz!!!! Not the Glums by any chance?!
Lizzie x

DebW

Post by DebW » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:39 pm

Batwoman wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:10 pm
Cheating in the quiz!!!! Not the Glums by any chance?!
Apparently not. Don't know who it was, but we're kind of blaming the Glums by default - maybe the cheats were trying anything to beat them?

if I learn more, I will write it!

DebW

Post by DebW » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:39 pm

Sunday 17th February – Hamilton, Bermuda

Woken by the sun streaming through the gap in the curtains this morning, and the news that the divers have been working on the dodgy propeller all night.
We had a leisurely breakfast in the Medina as our tour wasn’t leaving until 10.00 am. George has hurt his hip (the real one), we think it was being over-enthusiastic on the Wii tennis two nights ago, but he checked it out as we walked down the stairs, and he’s feeling okay about it, and okay to go.
Just as well – our tour was great. We travelled in a minibus pretty much the full length of the island, a trip of around 50 minutes. Our guide/driver pointed things out all along the way, so we got to see a lot of the main attractions before arriving at our destination – the Crystal Caves.
Here we were taken down into an underground tunnel, which eventually opened up into a series of water-filled caverns. It was stunning: I feel privileged to have seen it.
The underground walk took about an hour, then we began heading back to the Naval Dockyard where Aurora was berthed. But we still had a few things to see yet, including a drive through Bermuda’s capital city, Hamilton.
We stopped for a few minutes at a village called Flatts, which is as pretty a place as you can imagine. It is also home to the National Zoo and Aquarium, and as part of that there is a pool housing giant turtles close to the road, so that was a chance to take photos and go “ooh” and “aah”!
Our final stop was at Gibbs Lighthouse, which was closed as today’s Sunday. But we had a fantastic panoramic view from there right across the island.
After a very late lunch back on board Aurora we went back out into the Naval Dockyard to have a look around. There’s a free land-train running right through the area, so we jumped on it and rode to the Clocktower Wharf, which now houses shops.
In spite of wandering around for a good hour in various stores, we bought nothing. We just couldn’t believe how expensive everything was. Even a simple fridge magnet was $7 or more, and George spotted Bermuda shorts at a “bargain” price (their words, not ours) of $50. Bonkers prices.
It was just ourselves plus Angie and Richard together this evening, as the others were on an evening tour. We discovered that Richard is also suffering with his suspect hip, and we’re all now convinced it was the Wii tennis that’s done the damage.
None of us had any interest in seeing the saxophonist in the theatre, and just joined in a strange thing in Champions. This was called “Hullabaloo”, and was a bit like the Syndicate quiz on acid. Strange.

Batwoman

Post by Batwoman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:38 pm

Maybe a good idea to leave the Wii alone as you don't want anymore hip problems.....my mother maintained that sport was not good for anyone's health, she lived until she was 96 with very few aches and pains! ;)
Lizzie x