Re: Re: Aurora to the Amazon - final week

DebW

Post by DebW » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:30 pm

Thursday 21st February – at sea

It was rough in the night, but I slept better than I thought I would. However, we were woken around 5.30 am by a loud crash in the cabin. George got out of bed and checked things in the bathroom (nothing out of place there), and I had a quick look around the cabin itself – again, nothing. Then I noticed that the bottle of water that I always keep on the bedside cabinet had vanished. Couldn’t see it anywhere. I found it later wedged between the cabinet and the back of the mattress!
Once again I wondered if FitSteps would happen, and to be fair to the girls they were ready to cut the session short if the ship’s movement became too much. But we battled on, and got through it, though we didn’t learn anything new, just revised the three of the routines from earlier in the cruise.
George meanwhile had gone to listen to another ‘mysterious death’ talk, and I later went to the Battle. And the Captain finally – finally! – came over the tannoy to tell us what’s happening. It seems the storm today is now Force 9, rising 10, and not due to ease off at all until later tomorrow. So we’re going to docking in the Azores tomorrow evening instead of Saturday morning, which explains the 20-knot speeds we’ve been keeping close to all the time. No-one will be allowed ashore until the following morning, though: the earlier arrival is to give us all (passengers and crew!) a chance to get a decent night’s sleep.
And our departure time from the Azores is still also questionable as it seems there’s another gale heading in our direction! Ah well, it is what it is, and we’ve had wonderful weather and sea conditions right up till now.
I went to the Battle again, and after lunch we both went to the theatre for one of the funniest things I’ve seen on a ship in a long time. This was an improvisation show from Steven Frost (from “What’s My line”, among other things) and three others – unscripted, and relying on suggestions from the audience. Murdering Anne Boleyn with a turkey baster, and teaching anteaters to play rugby, had me crying with laughter. There’s another show tomorrow, so we’ll definitely be going to that.
All day the ship was battling the waves. We kept hearing glasses and crockery smashing, and the dinner tables in the restaurant looked weirdly bare, with only basic stuff laid out. But we did have one ridiculous moment that had us all chuckling: sitting in Champions as the ship rolled from side to side, our chairs kept sliding across the floor. We took to hanging onto the tables to try and keep still!
Hopefully the worst will be over by the time we wake up in the morning.

Batwoman

Re: Re: Re: Aurora to the Amazon - final week

Post by Batwoman » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Hopefully by now you're safely docked in the Azores and will be able to enjoy a good night's sleep.
Lizzie x

DebW

Post by DebW » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:04 am

Friday 22nd February – at sea

The sea and the ship were noticeably flatter first thing today, and the storm has now dropped back from Force 10 to Force 7, so that’s good.
I was going to give FitSteps a miss today, so we ate breakfast in the Medina. This was just because I wanted to see today’s film, “Mary Queen of Scots”: as entertainment is wasn’t bad, but factually correct it wasn’t. Okay, I suppose.
After today’s Battle we both went to the theatre for another show from Steven Frost and his team, and just like yesterday it was hilarious. So nice to have genuinely new comedy, without jokes we’ve heard countless times before. Excellent stuff.
We returned to the theatre in the evening, where comedy-impressionist Debra Stephenson was on stage. Enjoyed her act, even though it took a while to get going as she started with some impressions of jazz singers, and they all sound the same to me! But her take on Davina McColl and Kate Bush were brilliant.
We arrived in the Azores late in the evening, and were docked by about midnight. The wind had been dropping all afternoon, and we were still jumping around a bit, but at least we won’t have to listen to the cabin creaks and groans through the night.

Batwoman

Post by Batwoman » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:06 am

Looking forward to hearing about your day in the Azores.
Lizzie x

DebW

Post by DebW » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Saturday 23rd February – Praia da Vittoria, Azores

Certainly slept better last night: woke up too late for Medina breakfast!
We could hardly see the town, the weather was so murky. There was still a Force 8 wind blowing, it was raining, and it looked like going ashore was going to be a wet experience.
But then we started hearing announcements about what was going on. All tours today were cancelled, and the gangways closed completely, as the wind was making the nearby containers on the dock unstable. There was an additional line dancing session and showing of today’s film, and an extra talk arranged, but that was all.
We sat tight, stared out of the window, and awaited developments.
Around lunchtime we were finally told we could go ashore, but it was still raining hard so we waited for it to ease off. Sadly, it didn’t much, not until it was nearly time to be back on board, anyway. So I’m afraid as far as we’re concerned this port remains unvisited. Another time, maybe.
Aurora left the safety of the port at about 6.00 pm, and immediately hit more strong winds. We were warned to expect another bumpy night.
In the evening we camped in Champion’s with our friends, chatting, drinking and joining in the quizzes. We even had another go at the Syndicate quiz, where we managed to pick to wrong answer every time we’d got two possibles. Doh.
All in all, a bit of a nothing day – and quite strange.

DebW

Post by DebW » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Saturday 23rd February – Praia da Vittoria, Azores

Certainly slept better last night: woke up too late for Medina breakfast!
We could hardly see the town, the weather was so murky. There was still a Force 8 wind blowing, it was raining, and it looked like going ashore was going to be a wet experience.
But then we started hearing announcements about what was going on. All tours today were cancelled, and the gangways closed completely, as the wind was making the nearby containers on the dock unstable. There was an additional line dancing session and showing of today’s film, and an extra talk arranged, but that was all.
We sat tight, stared out of the window, and awaited developments.
Around lunchtime we were finally told we could go ashore, but it was still raining hard so we waited for it to ease off. Sadly, it didn’t much, not until it was nearly time to be back on board, anyway. So I’m afraid as far as we’re concerned this port remains unvisited. Another time, maybe.
Aurora left the safety of the port at about 6.00 pm, and immediately hit more strong winds. We were warned to expect another bumpy night.
In the evening we camped in Champion’s with our friends, chatting, drinking and joining in the quizzes. We even had another go at the Syndicate quiz, where we managed to pick to wrong answer every time we’d got two possibles. Doh.
All in all, a bit of a nothing day – and quite strange.

Batwoman

Post by Batwoman » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:05 pm

What a shame you didn’t manage to get ashore, you’ll just have to book another cruise that calls there! ;)
Here’s hoping the seas calm down for your last few days.
Lizzie x

DebW

Post by DebW » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:59 am

Sunday 24th February – at sea

Last night we were back to listening to our cabin creaking and cracking as we hit another Force 6 storm. So neither of us slept too well.
We had breakfast in the Medina again before I went off to FitSteps. Quite a few of the regulars missing this morning, for some reason, but it meant those of us there had more room to jump around! Today we revised the Glenn Miller routine we learnt a few weeks ago (“hello boys”!), and learnt a foxtrot number, which was quite straightforward but a bit dodgy with the ship moving as it was.
Afterwards George and I sorted out a couple of cases of hot-weather clothes, and bits we won’t need in Norway: George will take the cases and leave them in our car when we get to Southampton on Wednesday. We also had a visit from the Deck Supervisor, checking arrangements for our cabin-change the same day.
Battle of the Sexes was in Champion’s today – not that that helped the ladies! That was followed after lunch by some kind of pub games event, but I walked into a sing-song – and walked straight out again. Sorry, but not my thing at all. George went to the pictures instead (“The First Man” was on) and I did a bit more sorting in the cabin.
In the evening we saw a second show from Debra Stephenson. A bit hit-and-miss, like the first one was, but far funnier all round. Not bad at all.
Later, when we returned to our cabin we found a towel rabbit on the bed. First time for a few years that we’ve seen towel-art on a ship.

DebW

Post by DebW » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:00 am

Sunday 24th February – at sea

Last night we were back to listening to our cabin creaking and cracking as we hit another Force 6 storm. So neither of us slept too well.
We had breakfast in the Medina again before I went off to FitSteps. Quite a few of the regulars missing this morning, for some reason, but it meant those of us there had more room to jump around! Today we revised the Glenn Miller routine we learnt a few weeks ago (“hello boys”!), and learnt a foxtrot number, which was quite straightforward but a bit dodgy with the ship moving as it was.
Afterwards George and I sorted out a couple of cases of hot-weather clothes, and bits we won’t need in Norway: George will take the cases and leave them in our car when we get to Southampton on Wednesday. We also had a visit from the Deck Supervisor, checking arrangements for our cabin-change the same day.
Battle of the Sexes was in Champion’s today – not that that helped the ladies! That was followed after lunch by some kind of pub games event, but I walked into a sing-song – and walked straight out again. Sorry, but not my thing at all. George went to the pictures instead (“The First Man” was on) and I did a bit more sorting in the cabin.
In the evening we saw a second show from Debra Stephenson. A bit hit-and-miss, like the first one was, but far funnier all round. Not bad at all.
Later, when we returned to our cabin we found a towel rabbit on the bed. First time for a few years that we’ve seen towel-art on a ship.

Batwoman

Post by Batwoman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:39 am

We're having the warmest February on record Debs along with countries to the north of us, Iceland being one that was was mentioned, but it's all set to change on Thursday....just as you head north on your second cruise! Hopefully though there will be no more storms.
Lizzie x